The Best Crib Mattress for the Baby: Pick Yours Now!
As parents, you want your child to get good quality of sleep, right? And at the same time, you want them to achieve healthy growth along with safety as they sleep. But, how will you accomplish this? Knowing that toddlers and babies might spend most of their time in a sleep environment, you should purchase the best crib mattress that is right for them.
Best Crib Mattress Reviews
With wide numbers of products out today, it’s hard to pick the best one especially if you don’t really have much idea about the product. Good to know I will provide you with some. Here we go!
Top 5 Best Crib Mattress in 2018
Last update on 2020-01-19 PST - Details
What Type of Mattress to Choose?
Toddlers and babies might have diverse needs, so choosing the right type of mattress is essential. You can choose from the following:
Yes, babies do need a hard mattress due to particular reasons. A hard baby crib mattress will offer support to the newborn child. At this stage, children overgrow even when they are sleeping. It is best that their spine and bones are well supported and properly aligned.
Those children who can already walk or have good mobility could sleep almost anywhere. But, it is your job to ensure their safety. Some options you can choose from are as follow:
- Synthetic Foams. These options tend to off-gas and will give off a chemical smell for a while. They are not as hygienic as the latex foam, but they are fine for bigger ones.
- Latex Foam. This foam is available in different range of densities as well as hardness levels. There is a need to check the density rating or hardness of the mattress. Since this is a breathable kind of foam, it could disperse heat and could keep the baby comfortable even in hot rooms. It could also be synthetic or natural.
- Memory Foam. This foam is considered to be denser compared to latex foam, and the majority of parents would want this. This type is ideal for children who are restless on a spring or latex foam crib bed because they conform to the body and sleeping position of the child. Nevertheless, there is a need to avoid the temperature-sensitive memory foams since they could lead to suffocation hazards for the young ones.
- Pocket Coil Springs. Every individual spring is held in its pocket. This kind of construction will offer the child excellent support. They also tend to last longer compared to the standard coil springs, and they are perfect if you have more than one child since the springs operate independently of the neighbors.
- Natural Fiber Crib Mattresses. Some mattresses are made with the use of natural materials like soybean or coconut fiber. These mattresses might emit less odor than the foam beds. The fiber is coated with latex as a natural substance.
- Regular Coil Springs. This type is ideal if you only have a child. It renders excellent support, yet it might not be as good as the pocket spring one. There could be an assurance of better airflow but less circulation than the original coil box spring.
- Air and Water Mattresses. These types aren’t suitable for young ones. They could be fine for adults but not for toddlers or babies.
Important Things to Consider Before Purchasing
Here are the key features that you should consider as you shop for a new crib mattress:
There might be no wrong or right size. But, some regulations should be considered. There is the main rule that it has to fit the crib snug or moderately snug. For coil crib type, the depth differs between 5 to 6 inches while 4 to 6 inches for those foam-based products. In general, once the gap is more than two fingers, you have a too small mattress.
The bedding must snap back once you press it on the thresholds and the center. It must not conform to the head shape of the baby. There is a need for the bed to resilient enough to regain the form quickly right after applying hand pressure to it.
You can choose from different types that might have two level of foam firmness. The first one is the soft option for toddlers and the firm one intended for infants. It is advised to choose the firm one if you are to deal with infants.
A mattress is well-designed not just because it makes the baby sleep a lot more comfortable, but it also provides the needed support for their healthy spine development. Materials used are among the key aspects to consider.
It is recommended that you find a comfortable and long-term bed since baby might sleep in the crib up until the age of three.
The crib mattresses should pass the standard requirements to be sold in the market. Safety standards are crucial. Eco-friendly ones are also equally important.
Of course, if you plan to buy a new crib mattress, picking the one with features that match your needs and within the price range that suits your budget is a wise option.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Some FAQs about crib mattresses might help you decide wisely as well.
- Q: Which is the best organic crib mattress?
- A: To find the best organic crib mattress make sure that it doesn’t have materials like vinyl covering that might have hazardous effects. Look for an organic bed with CertiPUR-US certified label. In order for the product to be considered as organic, the fibers used must be natural.
- Q: When to move the cot mattress down?
- A: Well, in general, it might be done once the baby is from 6 to 9 months old. Some parents would drop the bedding once the kids learn to stand up by themselves.
- Q: Are toddler and crib mattress the same size?
- A: Yes. Infant mattresses have dual firmness wherein one side is for the newborn and the other one is for the toddler based on the firmness.
- Q: How thick must be a mattress for the newborn?
- A: The depth or thickness of the standard cribs are being regulated by laws. It must not be thicker than six inches from top to bottom once laid out flat.
Top 5 Best Crib Mattress Reviews
Now, for the reviews of the given options, read more below:
1, Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress
- Free from allergens
- Easy to clean and washable
- Firm and comfortable
- Made of food-grade polymer
- High safety rating and zero off-gassing
First on the list is a mattress that is entirely free of foam, latex, glue, springs or allergens. Instead, it is made from a food-grade polymer which is spun and woven to a polymer-air structure which is 90% air. And the other 10% is another food-grade polymer which is non-toxic with no emissions.
Since the air in this bed could freely flow all throughout the structure, you can avoid hot spots, and the toddler or baby will be more comfortable.
Also, its material is washable allowing you to keep it free from mold and bacteria. You can wash the entire mattress and keep it clean easily. And the structure is wrapped up in a breathable fabric which you could unzip for easy washing. Indeed, this is a very safe option for toddlers and babies.
2, Milliard Hypoallergenic
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Attractive pattern cover
- Enough support and comfort
- Strong odor that might take a few or more days to dissipate
For an affordable option, you can have this one. It is a great hypoallergenic crib mattress that is built with memory and offers the right amount of support and comfort for the baby. It is made of polyester cover along with a premium high-quality memory foam and good medium-firm feel.
This mattress renders excellent support for the body of the baby as it contours to its natural shape. However, it is also firm enough in preventing the risk of SIDS. When it comes to edge support, this mattress performs well.
Enhanced support is also guaranteed, and it is free from harmful chemicals too. The polyester cover is hypoallergenic too. Indeed, this one is a good crib option you can consider.
3, Colgate – Eco Classica III
- Lightweight mattress
- Dual firmness
- Made in the USA
- Very low emissions
Another memory foam mattress, you can never go wrong as well if you pick this one. It has a medical-grade PVC-free cover which is washable and waterproof.
It is constructed with the use of two layers of the popular Eco memory foam being infused with plant oils. The first layer is a bit harder for the babies while to other one is a softer memory foam intended for toddlers. This mattress fits all the standard sizes of American cribs.
Also, this product is GREENGUARD Gold certified wherein its ECO memory foam will produce no harmful air emissions. It is also CertiPUR-US certified meaning there are no hazardous materials at all.
4, Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
- Comfortable sleep guaranteed
- Enough support for safety
- Lifetime warranty
- Made in the USA using a renewable source
- Might be too hard or too soft for some
And for the fourth product, you will love this extra firm crib bed for baby that weighs only 8.3 pounds. This high-density foam is constructed with the use of American soybean oils like foams that offer enhanced support for the baby yet minimum sagging.
You are also guaranteed with minimal chemical emissions that’s why this mattress received the GREENGUARD certification for indoor air quality as well as low emissions.
This product is also fitted with a pearl-embossed and waterproof cover which is easy to clean and stain-resistant. You can also move this crib mattress as a toddler bed once needed. You will even get a lifetime warranty on quality and materials.
Under its waterproof top is a cotton wrap which surrounds the internal construction of the foam for ultimate comfort.
5, Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
- Great firmness
- Easy to wipe down and clean
- Sags in the middle
- Develops indentations
This one contains a hypoallergenic, waterproof vinyl cover as well as a high-density thermo-bonded fiber core to offer significant support to the spine of the child while sleeping. It also comes with a cover that is odor and stain resistant.
This crib mattress also meets the federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633 wherein it also doesn’t contain any toxic or harmful materials. Because of its support, you will love to pick this product. It also offers ease of cleaning, so you will definitely maintain this crib mattress for a long time.
There you have it! I have provided you both buying considerations and reviews of the products that will undoubtedly enlighten you in choosing the best crib mattress. Nevertheless, based on my own opinion, I would prefer the one I put on the top of the list – the Newton Wovenaire Crib Mattress.
Why? Well, I don’t think of any reason for not purchasing this option. It offers the best features that you might look for a crib mattress. Though it’s a bit expensive, you are guaranteed to get what you pay for. So, no doubt this one stands out from the rest! How about you? Which is your best pick? Share your thoughts with us!