Top Picks for the Best Air Mattress: Which One to Buy?
Air mattresses are among the favorites of many! But finding the best air mattress could sometimes be frustrating. Aside from broad options are available making it a lot confusing, specific factors should be considered as well. With that, you will definitely need this buying guide and reviews!
Best Air Mattress Reviews
Top 5 Best Air Mattress in 2018
Last update on 2018-11-16 PST - Details
What is an Air Mattress?
First, let’s get to know more about an air mattress. Though you have an idea about this bed, it pays to get to know more. Well, an air mattress or referred as air bed supports you on the bed of compressed air.
Have you remembered the old blow-up air beds? If yes, then the air mattress is just considered as a modern form of the said beds that are intended mainly for home use. Though they could be used as the primary bed, the majority of people only use them as their spare beds for relatives and guests staying at night.
Yes, they could be situated on the floor, and they could be used on a base designed for use with an air mattress. Others use them as the primary bed since they like the form of support rendered by the air bed. You could pump the bed to a pressure which suits your weight as well as your preferred degree of hardness.
Benefits of an Air Mattress
Of course, I would love to share with you the benefits you can get out of using an air mattress. These are the following:
- Sharing the Mattress. Some other beds would have two distinct chambers, so you couldn’t set every side to its firmness based on the person’s preference. Other beds would offer air coils inside which could have an effect of separating the partner’s movements, so the action of one will not interrupt the other.
- Adjust Hardness. You could set the bed as soft or firm as you want.
- Lack of Sagging. Some mattresses will sag after a period mainly with spring mattresses. With air mattress, this will not happen because you will only inflate it more to remove the sagging.
- No Gassing. Most spring and foam mattresses emit chemical smell especially when new, but an air mattress is odor-free wherein the PVC emits no gassing and offers no scent at all.
- Can Be Used Anywhere. Air mattresses are very portable. You can use them at home, while camping, in the garden or on the beach.
- Quickly Inflated. You could inflate the mattress even within a few minutes with the use of an electric pump.
And there are other benefits that you can indeed reap if you will also consider the use of an air bed.
Where to Use Air Mattress?
As discussed earlier, an air mattress is portable, so it could be used anywhere. Some of the usual places of usage include:
You have this option whether to use the air bed as your permanent bed. Some might have their own raised platform and others don’t have. And they are available in big sizes such as King and Queen size.
If you purchase a smaller one, it could be used as a temporary bed for your guests. It could be a good alternative instead of sleeping on the uncomfortable sofa and hard floor.
- Used for camping or backpacking…
In some cases, others would use a sleeping bag once out on an outdoor adventure. However, air beds are affordable and comfier alternatives to consider.
If you want to sleep in your car, having an inflatable car bed is an excellent option to get a sound sleep in the back of the vehicle. Air mattresses could custom stands or might be shaped with inflated feet which sit in the rear foot-wells supporting the edges once fully inflated.
Indeed, due to being portable, it is a good choice for those who want to have a comfortable and quality sleep anywhere.
Important Features to Look For
And some of the most notable features that you should look for when buying the best air mattress include the following:
- Comfort: There is a need for an air mattress to offer full-body support like the standard bed mattress.
- Durability: Mattresses must be made of heavy gauge PVC preventing seam splits, air leakage and tears.
- Height: For ease of lowering to and lifting the body from the bed, consider the double-height air beds.
- Adjustable Firmness: Based on your preference for a plush or firm mattress, you must control the deflation or inflation.
- Storage: Indeed, an air mattress must be easy to fold and be stored easily in a small space. It is best to find one which comes along with a sturdy storage bag which is large enough to hold the folded-up mattress.
- Internal Electric Air Pump: Look for an air mattress with a powerful built-in electric pump which deflates and inflates efficiently.
- Lack of Odor: Yes, PVC is known to be sturdier than others, but it could offer shower-curtain odor which doesn’t always dissipate with continued use. So, pick a bed with no smell or any unwanted odor at all.
These are some of the factors that you should bear in mind once shopping for an air bed. It pays to consider them all and be able to find the right product!
Reviews of the Best Air Mattress
Here are the reviews of the top five air mattresses I considered to be best among vast options available in the market today. Find out more about the products and weigh down which one of them will meet your standards. Here we go!
King Koil Luxury Raised Air Mattress – Best Inflatable Product for Overnight Guests
- The user-friendly built-in pump makes inflation and deflation a simple process
- Comes with a built-in pillow for optimum comfort
- Firmness customization ability
- Low height for easy bed transitioning
- Features a water-resistant quilt top
- Fitted sheets keep in its place
- Convenient and compact carrying bag
- Quite heavy
- Not ideal for rustic camping
What makes King Koil our best and ideal air mattress is that it meets all the needs of a family from little ones to adults. Not to mention, it has various excellent features that are sure to blow you away!
The King Koil has a built-in pillow for improved comfort level and an added dense water-resistant comfort cover top to ensure a sound sleep throughout the night. With an automatic knob, inflation and deflation make easier due to the coil-beam structure with an extremely manageable built-in pump.
Though, you may find King Koil a bit heavy, plus, those who love rustic camping will find it not well suited.
SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattresses – Best Quality Product for In-Home Use
- Excellent durability
- Includes bag for story transport
- Holds up to 500 pounds
- The 40 coils keep surface comfortable and flat
- Features one-click internal design for fast and easy inflation and deflation
- Ideal for overnight guests, relatives, or friends
- Good warranty
- Greatly works with non-standard, deep fitted sheets
We surely want our relatives and guests to get comfortable while sleeping over. In this case, SoundAsleep Dream Series makes for an excellent option. Its quality built, and exceptional function will surely attract you.
The SoundAsleep Dream Series is one of the highest rated air mattresses out there due to its durability, comfort, and ease of use. It features 40 coil flat sleeping surface that offers brilliant inner support and edge as well as the level of comfort. With numerous puncture proof material layers and a capacity of up to 500 pounds, this air mattress will have no problem holding the average weight of couples.
Although, SoundAsleep Dream Series works best with non-standard, deep fitted sheets.
WonderSleep Classic Series Mattress – Best Durable Product for In-Home Use
- Easy and fast inflation and deflation
- Can be easily deflated, folded, and store
- Waterproof, extra thick flocked top for extra comfort and durability
- Features DreamCoil Technology for extra firmness support and durability
- Perfect for overnight guests, relatives, or friends
- Fails to hold air after some use
Another in-home air mattress for overnight friends, relatives, and guests, the WonderSleep Classic Series is durable enough to withstand long-term use.
We have seen various compliments about this air mattress, and we can also attest to that. Such compliments include the capacity to control the mattress’s firmness and keep inflated through the night, as well as the built-in pump. There’s a flocked top for added comfort, a variety of air coils to help with the firmness, and quick deflation/inflation pump.
WonderSleep Classic Series, however, may not able to hold the air after a period of use.
Coleman Airbed Folding Cot – Best Compact Product for Camping and Backpacking
- Ease of use
- Versatile design
- 600 lbs. capacity
- Features ComfoStrong coil built for comfort and support
- A 4-D battery-operated pump is included
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- May not comfortable for some
Ideal to use both outdoor and indoor, the Coleman Airbed is one of the best options for camping and backpacking purposes.
It is an appropriate sleeping surface that blends a comfy queen air mattress having a portable, robust cot. Whether it is giving your guests a good night sleep or wanting to achieve the best sleep during a camping trip, Coleman Airbed does the wonders. It has two side tables and can support up to 600 lbs.
But for some, the mattress is a bit heavy and difficult to move which makes it not comfortable to use.
- Low height
- Available in queen and twin size
- Built from extra thick solid materials
- Includes a rechargeable air pump and a carrying bag for easy transportation
- Good warranty
- May not able to hold air for too long
Heads up campers! With the durable SoundAsleep Camping Series, you are guaranteed to get the perfect sleep while on a camp. Thanks to its many excellent features that you shouldn’t overlook!
The SoundAsleep Camping Series has ComfortCoil Technology with proprietary eco-friendly PVC, and I-Beam Air Coils engineered for maximum durability throughout outdoor use – perfect for weekends and wilderness camp-outs. It is incredibly portable and low in height. Also, the mattress is supported by an external pump which has a robust battery for easy and quick inflation (about 3 minutes!).
On the bad side, the mattress may not be capable of holding the air for an extended span of time.
There is no such thing as a very durable, perfect air mattress. Each of these top picks deserves a notable recognition for their unparalleled quality and function, but after some testing, we are fully confident that the King Koil Air Mattress holds air even after so many uses. It is one of the most comfortable air mattresses you need to try and provides excellent control over inflation.
Nevertheless, you also have your self-preferences when it comes to buying the best air mattress! Just choose the right product that will address what your exact needs are!
Hope you enjoyed our reviews of the air mattresses. Is your top pick also included in our list? What are your experiences using them? Share them through the comment section below!